Course Objective: The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize, & respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, & sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
Location: Lewisburg Community Pool
Dates of Course: Must attend all sessions.
- Tuesday, June 26th- 9:00AM to 1:00PM
- Wednesday, June 27th- 9:00AM to 1:00PM
- Thursday, June 28th- 9:00AM to 1:00PM
- Friday, June 29th- 9:00AM to 2:00PM
All participants much be 15 years old on or before June 25, 2018
Completion of Prerequisite Swim Test: To become eligible to enroll in this course, all participants must successfully complete all portions of the prerequisite swim tests. This testing will be done at the Lewisburg Community Pool at the first session.
Certification includes: Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR, and AED.
Required Equipment: All participants MUST bring a copy of the American Red Cross Lifesaving Manual and whistle to class.
Text books are required for class and should be downloaded at the following website: http://www.editiondigital.net/publication/?i=95090 Or a hard copy maybe purchased for $32.00 http://www.redcrossstore.org/item/655735 Please read through manual before attending class
**Certification is good for 2 years**
Prerequisite Swim Test Requirements:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control & rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head first to a depth of 8 feet to retrieve a 10 pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
**There will be a lunch break please bring your own bag lunch. NO lunch will be provided!**